To maintain the integrity of all building systems, operate the building in an efficient manner, supervise work in the field and perform a variety of services in a secured facility
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the efficient operation, maintenance and repair of all building systems. Building systems include HVAC, water treatment, electrical, lighting, plumbing, energy management, fire protection, structural, hardware and keying.
- Perform or supervise the installation, fabrication, construction, troubleshooting and repairing of complex mechanical and electrical equipment
- Reviews and coordinates work assignments; plans work to be performed and obtain necessary tools, equipment and materials. Completes assignments and paperwork in a timely manner. Oversees the work of Engineers, Maintenance Technicians and Utility Workers.
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of equipment being serviced and employs service procedures and techniques indicative of first class work. Follows inspection and service procedures outlined in the preventive maintenance and loss control programs
- Possesses knowledge of a safe and efficient operation of all equipment, power and hand tools
- Responsible for the care of assigned equipment, tools and uniforms
- Responsible for keeping the shop, equipment rooms and common areas clean, organized and safe
- Follows operational and safety procedures
- Inspect all areas of the building(s) and report deficiencies as well as suggestions for improvement
- Monitor contractors, inspects work and generates deficiency lists
- Available for various shifts and to occasionally work extended hours, nights, weekends and holidays to ensure adequate building coverage and perform necessary repairs
- Ability to perform assigned functions required of a Chief Engineer
- Projects a positive appearance and attitude at all times. Demonstrates exemplary tenant relations, team spirit and respect of others
- Assist in instituting and administering policies and procedures established by Engineering Management
- Administers necessary inventory control programs to ensure adequate spare parts and material inventories
- Responds to after-hours emergencies such as fire, flooding, severe weather (including snow and ice removal) power outages and other related situations including clean-up activities, if other contracted personnel are not available
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
(Minimum requirements include at least 4 of the following 🙂
- Comprehensive training and certification in HVAC or Operating Engineering Technologies and/or equivalent job related training and experience
- License(s) for applicable jurisdiction and equipment:
- DC Properties- 3rd Class Steam Engineer License
- Maryland Properties -2nd Grade Stationary Engineer License
- Virginia Properties- NIULPE 1st Class Engineer Certificate
- HVAC Masters License
- SMT Certification or enrollment in a program
- Universal CFC certification required
- Minimum of 10 years as a Building Engineer or equivalent field experience
- Continuing education in field
- Strong technical and problem solving abilities
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to coordinate work efficiently and optimize the performance of others
- Strong computer skills necessary to operate and diagnose problems associated with Building Automation Systems
- Familiarity with OSHA, NEC, NFC and Life Safety codes
- Regularly required to stand, walk, reach and use arms to perform tasks
- Regularly required to talk, and hear and occasionally required to taste and smell
- Frequently required to sit, stoop, crouch, kneel, crawl, balance and climb stairs & ladders
- Regularly required to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, and occasionally required to lift/move 50+ pounds
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision and depth perception
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL CONTACTS
- This position interacts extensively with tenants, vendors and contractors as well as other employees within MRP.
- Reporting Structure: The Lead Building Engineer will receive supervision and direction from the Chief Engineer or Operations Manager. In the absence of a Chief Engineer or Operations Manager, (i) the Property Manager will provide supervision, direction and assistance to the Lead Engineer and (ii) Director of Engineering will provide supplemental direction and assistance to the Lead Engineer.
MRP is an equal opportunity employer. Our values center on the notion where we are part of a team that is respectful, where you are appreciated and allowed to be yourself. We recognize that greater diversity in the workforce results in greater profitability and value creation. We help build the communities where people live and work and we are committed to always do that in a way that celebrates inclusivity.
* This position requires employees to be vaccinated as a condition of employment, subject to accommodation.