To maintain the integrity of all building systems, operate the building in an efficient manner, supervise work in the field and perform a variety of services in a secured facility
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the efficient operation, maintenance, and repair of all building systems. Building systems include HVAC, water treatment, electrical, lighting, plumbing, energy management, fire protection, structural, hardware and hardware.
- Installs, fabricates, constructs, troubleshoots, and repairs complex mechanical and electrical equipment with very minimal or no support and supervision
- Reviews and coordinates work assignments; plans work to be performed and obtain necessary tools, equipment, and materials. Completes assignments and paperwork in a timely manner. Oversees the work of Engineers, Maintenance Technicians and Utility Workers.
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of equipment being serviced and employs service procedures and techniques indicative of first-class work. Follows inspection and service procedures outlined in the preventive maintenance and loss control programs
- Possesses knowledge of a safe and efficient operation of all equipment, power, and hand tools
- Responsible for the care of assigned equipment, tools, and uniforms
- Responsible for keeping the shop, equipment rooms and common areas clean, organized, and safe
- Follows operational and safety procedures
- Inspect all areas of the building(s) and report deficiencies as well as suggestions for improvement
- Assist in the monitoring of contractors, inspection of work and generating deficiency list
- Available for various shifts and to occasionally work extended hours, nights, weekends, and holidays to ensure adequate building coverage and perform necessary repairs.
- Responds to after-hours emergencies such as fire, flooding, severe weather (e.g. snow and ice removal) power outages and other situations including clean-up activities, if other contracted personnel are not available
- Ability to perform assigned functions as required by the Chief Engineer.
- Projects a positive appearance and attitude always. Demonstrates exemplary tenant relations, team spirit and respect of others
- Pursues employee development objective recommended by the Director of Engineering and/or Property Manager
- Assist in instituting and administering policies and procedures established by Engineering Management
- Administers necessary inventory control programs to ensure adequate spare parts and material inventories
- Provide technical support to the Lead Engineer or Property Manager
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Comprehensive training and certification in HVAC or Operating Engineering Technologies and/or equivalent job-related training and experience
- License(s) for applicable jurisdiction and equipment:
- DC Properties- 3rd Class Steam Engineer License
- Maryland Properties -1st or 2nd Grade Stationary Engineer License depending on equipment complexity
- Virginia Properties- NIULPE 1st Class Engineer Certificate/Journeyman or master’s license
- HVAC Masters License
- SMT enrollment in a program
- Universal CFC certification required]
- Minimum of 8 years of field experience with a minimum of two years of Lead Engineer experience
- SMT enrollment in program
- Continuing education in field
- Comprehensive skills for solving technical programs
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Ability to coordinate work efficiently and optimize the performance of others
- Strong computer skills necessary to operate and diagnose problems associated with Building Automation Systems
- Advanced knowledge with OSHA, NEC, NFC, and Life Safety codes
- OSHA 10 certification
- Regularly required to stand, walk, reach, and use arms to perform tasks
- Regularly required to talk, and hear and occasionally required to taste and smell
- Frequently required to sit, stoop, crouch, kneel, crawl, balance and climb stairs & ladders
- Regularly required to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, and occasionally required to lift/move 50+ pounds
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision and depth perception
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL CONTACTS
- This position interacts extensively with tenants, vendors, and contractors as well as other employees within MRP.
- Reporting Structure: The Assistant Chief Engineer will receive supervision and direction from the Chief Engineer or Operations Manager. In the absence of a Chief Engineer or Operations Manager, (i) the Property Manager will provide supervision, direction, and assistance to the Assistant Chief Engineer and (ii) Director of Engineering will provide supplemental direction and assistance to the Assistant Engineer.
MRP is an equal opportunity employer. Our values center on the notion where we are part of a team that is respectful, where you are appreciated and allowed to be yourself. We recognize that greater diversity in the workforce results in greater profitability and value creation. We help build the communities where people live and work and we are committed to always do that in a way that celebrates inclusivity.
* This position requires employees to be vaccinated as a condition of employment, subject to accommodation.